Community Development

bettsey-group-at-camp1. Can I get a tax exemption for an inkind donation?

Any inkind donation (donation of goods or services) is tax deductable when the donor provides name, address, item donated and value of the item.

2. How are Memorial Donations acknowledged?

The donor is sent a thank you note and the deceased person’s family is sent a note informing them of the donation.

3. Are receipts sent for donations?

Receipts and thank you letters are sent for contributions of $75.00 or more per IRS regulations.  Donations under that amount have the donation amount in the body of the thank you letter and the letter can be used as a receipt.

4. Where do I send donations?

Donations can be made to Friends of the Arc Foundation at PO Box 97, Utica, NY 13503-0097.  Phone: (315) 927-0140

5. How do I become a volunteer for Community Development?

Volunteers are needed for occasional bulk mailings (stuffing envelopes, sealing, sorting etc.) and to work on fundraising committees.  If you are interested, please contact the Community Development office at (315) 927-0142

Day Services

1. Who pays for Day Habilitation?

Day Habilitation is funded by Medicaid  through the Medicaid Waiver.

2. Who is eligible for day services?

Individuals who have a developmental disability, diagnosed before the 22nd  birthday are eligible for services.

3. Is there an age limitation of who can attend?

There is no maximum age limitation, yet individuals must be at least 21 years of age.  (In special circumstances, a special waiver can be issued to provide services to individuals younger than 21.)

4. What are developmental disabilities?

Developmental disabilities are disabilities of a person which are attributed to mental retardation, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, neurological impairment or autism that originate before the 22nd birthday, has continued or can be expected to continue indefinitely and constitutes a substantial handicap to such person’s ability to function normally in society.

5. What are your hours?

Day Services provide services Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.

6. Do I have to attend full-time?

No, you can attend anywhere from one day a week to five days a week, based on your wants and desires.  Half-day attendance is an option, but The Arc does not provide transportation for half-day attendance.

7. Can I attend another program while attending day services part-time?

Yes, many individuals attend part-time day services and another program the remaining days, such as vocational services.

8. How do the individuals get to the programs?

The Arc contracts with the Birnie Bus Service to provide transportation from the individuals homes in the morning, to program and back home in the afternoon.

9. Are meals provided?

Generally, no meals are provided.  The senior day habilitation program does provide meals as the program is located at a senior nutrition site.

10. Do you administer prescribed medications?

Day Habilitation programs have personnel on staff who are certified to pass prescribed medications.  Personnel includes RNs, LPNs, and Approved Medication Administration Personnel; although positions vary by site.

11. How do I make a referral?

Contact either the Director of Day Services at 315.735.6477, ext. 1543 or the Intake Coordinator at 315.735.6477, ext. 1675.

12. Can individuals attend who are not eligible for Medicaid?

Yes, for those individuals not eligible for Medicaid they can attend on a private pay basis.

13. Who do I contact if I have a question or concern?

Each program has an on-site director who can assist you with questions or concerns, or direct you to someone who can assist you.

Leave a comment